callerlist will MAYBE use a database of another program (not django),
or it uses a database of another django application. This is optional
and I want callerlist to work with or without. For that i decided to
create an application customerlist and develop a model Customer and an
optional interface for any existing crms. customerlist will either use
an own model for the crm, or a database of a completely different
software. To have the callerlist coherent I included a customer-field
in the PhoneCall model wich should ot throw an error if the
customerlist application is not installed.

Now I have the following model in the app callerlist with a foreign
key customer_crm to the optional crm application.

class PhoneCall(models.Model):
    user = models.ForeignKey(auth.models.User)
    caller_name = models.CharField(...)
    customer_crm = models.ForeignKey(customerlist.models.Customer)

If I don't want install the customerlist, model PhoneCall throws an
error, of course! How would I best change the application callerlist
to recognize whether customerlist is installed or not, and use the
customer_crm field or not. Both applications have to be coherent and
work properly alone.

Any ideas?