> from django.db import models
>>
>> # Create your models here.
>> class Cardrange(models.Model):
>>     minbin = models.DecimalField(max_digits=12, decimal_places=0)
>>     maxbin = models.DecimalField(max_digits=12, decimal_places=0)
>>
>>     minpan = models.IntegerField()
>>     maxpan = models.IntegerField()
>>
>> ... more fields and 'def __unicode__() ...
>>

> Are you absolutely sure there is not:
>
>     id = models.IntegerField(primary_key=True)
>
> among the "more fields"

Karen

Hi,
There's no 'id' in my other fields; the manage.py sql DOES report it as
being 'serial', however the field definition in pgadmin III reports:

-- Column: id

-- ALTER TABLE cardtype_cardrange DROP COLUMN id;

ALTER TABLE cardtype_cardrange ADD COLUMN id *integer*;
ALTER TABLE cardtype_cardrange ALTER COLUMN id SET STORAGE PLAIN;
ALTER TABLE cardtype_cardrange ALTER COLUMN id SET NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE cardtype_cardrange ALTER COLUMN id SET DEFAULT
nextval('cardtype_cardrange_id_seq'::regclass);

but the table creation code has it as serial:

CREATE TABLE tablename
(
  id serial NOT NULL,
  minbin numeric(12) NOT NULL,
  maxbin numeric(12) NOT NULL,
  minpan integer NOT NULL,
  maxpan integer NOT NULL,

The actual characteristics of the field from pgadmin ||| include:
Name: id
Data type: *integer*
Default: nextval(<the sequence's name >)
Sequence: <the sequence name - which is tablename_id_seq >
Primary key yes
not NULL yes

So, it has a sequence, but the sequence is out-of-sync (value=7) with the
actual DB (max id is 92,000+), thus the code to first setval() the sequence.
Anyway the code seems to work, but it's still odd that the type isn't
serial.
Ken