Thanks Javier.

It seems that I was perhaps thinking about it the wrong way.  I
believe I understand what you mean - the REFERENCE just keeps the
table in order, it doesn't provide any performance boost.  The speed
boost comes from the indexes that are created, which Django
automatically sets up.

As an aside, I continued playing with it after posting, and eventually
came upon a solution that produced what I had wanted to see.  By
setting up a Proxy model for app1_username in app2, I got the
REFERENCE I had been looking for in the SQL.

I don't immediately see any reason to avoid this proxy model, but if
anyone has a good one I'd love to know.

Thanks again!
trev