Stodge wrote:

> Offering the user a drop
> down combo box of requirements to choose from isn't the best option.

Rant: combo box /means/ a text entry widget plus dropdown menu "combo".
 For some reason web developers in particular seem prone to using it to
mean a dropdown alone (html forms sadly lack built-in combo boxes, of
course)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_box

> I suppose I could create an auto-complete text box widget that offers
> a list of requirements that matches what they typed. But that's a lot
> of work for someone who doesn't know Javascript (though I do have
> JQuery plugged into my app)

If you're using jquery there are quite a few ready-made jquery plugins
that mean you can make a combo box (for various ideas of what
a combo box is or should be) quickly. Kinda one of the points of jquery
is the large array of plugins, though with the usual problems of plugins
- variable quality and design.

Here's a couple of examples:
http://phone.witamean.net/sexy-combo/examples/index.html
http://www.fairwaytech.com/Technology/FlexBoxDemo.aspx#demo8
see the jquery plugins list:
http://plugins.jquery.com/
search for "combo" or "autocomplete" or "autosuggest".

OTOH, a combo box might still be a cramped interface. One could
e.g. present a filterable table with the likes of dataTables.
http://www.datatables.net/