On Dec 20, 2:22 pm, Todd Blanchard <tblanch...@mac.com> wrote:
> I think what i actually want is a form set, but I don't find that all that
> well done either.
>
> What I'm finding lacking is the ability to put a master/detail relationship
> in a single form.  For instance, Author/Books.

You can achieve this with an inline formset.

> Furthermore, I don't see a nice way to work with dynamically expanding forms
>- IOW, allow the user to keep adding books to an Author using DHTML.

This, however, is harder. I have been thinking about the best way to
do this, and with a formset, you need to make sure that the POSTed
values match up with what the form management tags say.

More recently, I have been using jQuery, and the RESTful interface I
provided for my apps, to add an object. I haven't combined this with a
formset as yet, but one way might be to have a formset with a large
number of extra forms, that are hidden until a new one is added.  This
feels a little hacky, however.

> So far my impression of forms is - ick - lame.

I think of forms as simply the method of sanitising the input from the
user. I have had to subclass the forms quite heavily, but it can
generally do what I want.