I would take a different tack. Store my videos is a service such as
Vimeo and then link to their generated thumbnails.
I'm doing that using django-picasa (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-
picasa/1.2). The code might give you an idea now how do it. I'd also
serve up my videos from them and save my bandwidth.

t.