Thanks Shawn - but James' talk is exactly what got me into this
mess :-)
I'm aware of the possibility of specifying the model to be used as a
default kw arg in views etc. But I want all my models to become 'owner
aware'.

http://code.google.com/p/django-granular-permissions/ approaches the
model's extension from the other side: it has a Permission class with
content_type/id pointers to the relevant object. Unfortunately
permissions are not checked/handed out automatically, but at least
this solves the model problem to some extend.

Will keep everyone posted, I'm not quite there yet... help is very
welcome.