I have seen many messages about this but I am at a loss for what to
do.  Currently I am building a DB of state representatives.  This DB
has to other tables besides that of the actual representative. Those
tables are for committees those members are part off.  I use
manytomany and foreign key relationships to match Reps to their
committees.

What I am looking to do is build a search form that will allow me to
query against the DB with several advanced search options for "type of
representative (senate or congress)" "home town" "district" "last
name".  A few of these will be boolean/checkbox fields and some will
be text fields.

Anyways, what I'm wondering is, should I build this up by hand or
should I use something like haystack?  I am only querying against a DB
and not en entire site.

Thanks in advance,

Nick