I am working with a legacy database and would appreciate some advice.

I have an existing "user" table, with some fields that overlap with the
design of Django's "user" table, and some fields that are "extra" to it.  I
understand that I can use Django's "user" table and extend it to include
these extra fields.

However, the problem lies with the user's "id" field.  In the legacy
database, this id appears in numerous tables (to identify the person who
last edited the record) but is a short character string, NOT an
auto-increment numeric value.  I am wondering what is the best/possible
approach in order to use all the features of Django admin without any code
changes.  I assume I will need to convert all the existing users into the
Django user table, but then do I:

a. leave the id field in the other tables "as is"?  In which case, is it
possible to somehow adapt Django's numeric id field to become alpha-numeric?

b. carry-out a mass update and convert all existing user id's in all tables
to the Django numeric format?

I think (b) might be better in the long run (although I am partial to the
idea of "human readable" id string when browsing the raw data), but I would
welcome other opinions (or options).

Thanks
Derek