Thanks Daniel. I guess that part makes sense, but what I'd really like
to do is use the FileField itself to place the file in the right place.
I thought that with a file that was submitted from a form field, that
this was possible (and indeed the intended purpose). I'm confused why it
seems like I have to reverse engineer my design to put the file where
the FileField expects it, and then give FileField a value that
corresponds to that location.

Isn't that the whole idea of the FileField itself?