thanks for the offer, but as I said : the problem is long since
solved.  it was a circular import problem.
I reworked the imports and its gone.

my question was:  how could it have happened on the staging server and
not on the dev server ?

I was just asking around to see if anybody had seen that kind of
behavior before and knew a likely explanation.

and primarily how I can detect such problems in the future before I've
deployed it to a live site.