I'm currently writing a blog application in django, and a part of what
I want to do is allow some HTML in posts and comments. I discovered
yesterday, more or less by accident, that the markdown filter actually
allows some HTML.

I've been looking for a list of exactly what markdown allows, but I
haven't been able to find one, so my question is if I will be
sufficiently protected from all sorts of things if I apply the
markdown filter, and nothing else. I'm an absolute beginner when it
comes to security issues like these.

Also, I would like to know how much HTML markdown allows. What I need
is essentially links, formatting and div to control the placement of
images.

I've searched this group for information on the subject, and I came
across this post

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/60f76d731adf46af/323fb8685dbaa960

which mentions an HTML filter that sounds perfect, but the link to the
source isn't working, so I don't know if it is maintained any more.
Does anyone know?