i've always said that skills knew how to throw a great party. as such, once
again, they
prove me right. great vibe, happy kids, nice hot atmosphere (greenhouse,
anyone ?), great
decorations, plenty of drugged up kids, and best yet, raver rain ! w00t !
no, really, it was a
great party, and kudos to the skills crew for throwing a good one.

now for the disappointment.

don't get me wrong. i love nick sentience's sound. he produced some great
tracks. had a
very distinctive sound, very acid, very techy. you could be able to spot
one of his tracks out
from a mile away, just by the way it chugs.

last night was ... absolutely horrible. and part of it is probably my
kneejerk reaction to
"hard dance." frankly, i think that it's killing the sound of hardhouse and
nrg. or maybe i'm a
purist at heart. i grew out of hard trance a long time ago for a reason:
the sound simply got
boring after a while. the same generic sounds, the same kickdrum intros. it
got stale.

it would have been nice if he had varied his set. played some different
tracks in between,
but it was one after the other of freakin anthem/horrid squealing
vocal/melodic breaks. i
couldn't take it anymore. someone mentioned to me 'you know, this is like
straight trance.
just played at 160 bpm.'

i don't know ... i felt like it was a sell-out. the producers nowadays are
diluting their stuff for
the mainstream crowd. so what if that's what sells ? you see great
producers like mik,
glazby, od404 still cranking out great tracks, still going against the
grain and producing out
unique numbers.

if this keeps up, if the producers keep selling out, the whole sound of
hard house and nrg
will die.

oh well, maybe it's time to start listening to proggy only.