From: linux-crypto-ow...@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:linux-crypto-ow...@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Herbert Xu
Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:00 PM
To: Yu, Wenqian <wenqian...@intel.com>
Cc: linux-cry...@vger.kernel.org; dm-devel@redhat.com; m-cr...@saout.de; Milan
Broz <gmazyl...@gmail.com>; Keating, Brian A <brian.a.keat...@intel.com>; Will,
Brian <brian.w...@intel.com>; Li, Weigang <weigang...@intel.com>; Cabiddu,
Giovanni <giovanni.cabi...@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Request for Comments about Chained-IV feature in Linux crypto
framework

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 01:12:32AM +0000, Yu, Wenqian wrote:
> Hi, Herbert and all,
>
> For saving the offload cost of symmetric cipher to hardware accelerator, we
> have a proposal (chained-IV) to batch multiple SG with different IV into one
> skcipher request, which also benefits SW implementation. The existing
> skcipher with SG list in crypto framework is treating all SG in the SG list
> as one single buffer to symmetric crypto operation with same IV.  In some use
> case the IV for each SG is different (e.g. dm-crypt, the IV for each sector
> is different). Could you please give quick comments on the below proposal
> before implementation?

We've had this discussion already.  The current plan is to use explicit IV
generators, as seen here

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9803473/

So please help review the existing patches and if there are any inadequacies,
please comment.

Thanks.
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herb...@gondor.apana.org.au> Home Page: