On 04/16/2018 09:36 PM, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

>>> But that will increase it for all slabs (often senselessly - i.e.
>>> kmalloc-4096 would have order 4MB).
>>
>> 4MB? Nope.... That is a power of two slab so no wasted space even with
>> order 0.
>
> See this email:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2018-March/msg00387.html
>
> If you boot with slub_max_order=10, the kmalloc-8192 cache has 64 pages.
> So yes, it increases the order of all slab caches (although not up to
> 4MB).
>
>> Its not a senseless increase. The more objects you fit into a slab page
>> the higher the performance of the allocator.

It's not universally without a cost. It might increase internal
fragmentation of the slabs, if you end up with lots of 4MB pages
containing just few objects. Thus, waste of memory. You also consume
high-order pages that could be used elsewhere. If you fail to allocate
4MB, then what's the fallback, order-0? I doubt it's "the highest
available order". Thus, a more conservative choice e.g. order-3 will
might succeed more in allocating order-3, while a choice of 4MB will
have many order-0 fallbacks.

>>> I need to increase it just for dm-bufio slabs.
>>
>> If you do this then others will want the same...
>
> If others need it, they can turn on the flag SLAB_MINIMIZE_WASTE too.

I think it should be possible without a new flag. The slub allocator
could just balance priorities (performance vs memory efficiency) better.
Currently I get the impression that "slub_max_order" is a performance
tunable. Let's add another criteria for selecting an order, that would
try to pick an order to minimize wasted space below e.g. 10% with some
different kind of max order. Pick good defaults, add tunables if you must.

I mean, anyone who's creating a cache for 640KB objects most likely
doesn't want to waste another 384KB by each such object. They shouldn't
have to add a flag to let the slub allocator figure out that using 2MB
pages is the right thing to do here.

Vlastimil