On Wed, 2018-06-20 at 10:33 +0300, Yury Norov wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 04:09:58PM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > External Email
> >
> > A lot of code is using allocation of bitmaps using BITS_PER_LONG()
> > macro and
> > sizeof(unsigned long) operator. The readability suffers because of
> > this.
> >
> > The series introduces three helpers, i.e. bitmap_alloc(),
> > bitmap_zalloc() and
> > bitmap_free(), to make it more cleaner.
>

> tools/include/linux/bitmap.h already has bitmap_alloc(),

TBH, I don't give a crap about tools. They invented something that might
or might not follow kernel APIs. At the end, it's a user space.

> and it corresponds to bitmap_zalloc() in this patch. It may
> cause problems in future if people will copy functions that
> use bitmap_alloc between kernel code and tools. So I think
> we have to propagate this API to tools and update existing
> users of bitmap_alloc() in tools.

Propose a patch then. Perhaps I need to inform tools people about new
API coming, but that's all what I can do. Existing something in tools/
does not and should not prevent extending / changing kernel internal
APIs.

> What about code that calls specific alloc functions, like
> memblock_virt_alloc() and pcpu_mem_zalloc() in mm/percpu.c,

What about it? It's not in scope of this API for sure. The above
mentioned functions have a very limited area of usage.
Your example also a bit complicated, since it's not allocating _just_ a
bitmap, but a structure _with_ embedded bitmap.

> or devm_kcalloc() in drivers/dma/edma.c?

There is no such file in the tree. You perhaps referred to
drivers/dma/ti/edma.c.

Yes, this is a candidate to convert later on if anyone wants to do it
(with introducing devm_bitmap_alloc() / devm_bitmap_zalloc() helpers).

>  If we are going to
> unify bitmap allocations in kernel, we should think about
> unification of that cases too. Should it be additional
> flag or optional pointer to the exact allocator in
> bitmap_{,z}alloc()?

So, I prefer one step at a time. Especially taking into consideration
the problems I have to solve now with those simplest helpers I proposed.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevche...@linux.intel.com>
Intel Finland Oy