> On Feb 10, 2016, at 1:55 AM, Roland Turner via dmarc-discuss
> <dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:
>
> I'd suggest a few things:
>
> - You're looking a little too closely at daily changes, particularly around
> implementation time. Allow the thing some time to settle, perhaps a month,
> before considering next steps. Bear in mind that there are multiple,
> independent good and evil actors here, each reacting to the others all the
> time. This will take time to settle, a single day's (or week's) change is
> unlikely to be actionable. Note in particular that the larger receivers are
> almost certainly comparing their user feedback ("This is [not] Spam") with
> your DMARC policy ([un]authenticated messages that get reported as
> [not-]spam) as an input to their decision making. On the fairly small numbers
> that you're talking about, this calculation could take weeks to converge.

DMARC certainly provides another view into what is happening. I think what you
are saying is that my small traffic volume 15,000 messages are such a small
blip in the spammers world they will be doing some monthly analysis to notice
and adjust their routine accordingly.

> - The Forwarder and Threat/Unknown categories in Dmarcian are a mix of
> probabilistic assessments by email-receivers and by Dmarcian, not a reliable
> indication of what the email messages in question contain.

Yes, I have tracked legitimate emails through all the Dmarcian categories.

> They're interesting, but don't get hypnotised by them.

Looking forward to a drop off in traffic to break the spell...

> - How much is on-domain (vs. cousin-domain) impersonation costing you in
> fraud/support/churn losses? If it's costing you thousands of dollars a month,
> then by all means bring in the professionals. If you can't price it, or you
> haven't done so yet, or it's a trivial amount, then you're probably done.

That is good to know since nobody is directly paying to do this. I imagine that
I should just keep an eye on ARC and I could always become an early adopter of
that as way to improve things.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some perspective.

Ben