Yes, mainly for brand/domain protection. We see spammers co-opt domains all
the time that are widely recognized but not normally used for mail. I've
told people in the past to do this for domains that they own that should
never send mail, especially lookalike or spoof domains that you own for
brand protection. See a0l.com for example:

a0l.com.                3578    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 -all"
_dmarc.a0l.com.         3559    IN      TXT     "v=DMARC1\; p=reject\;
fo=1\; rua=mailto:a...@rua.agari.com\; ruf=mailto:a...@ruf.agari.com";

--
PAUL ROCK
Principal Software Engineer | AOL Mail