John,

On 23-12-16 17:10, John Comfort via dmarc-discuss wrote:
Maybe it is time to rethink this, or open a more official dialogue. I understand folks don't want to send reports. I understand the privacy issue. However, without these reports, or at least *some* information sent regarding the unaligned emails, we are at an impasse to migrating to a 'reject'. For certain environments (e.g. financial), we cannot reject *any* legitimate emails and therefore require verification of all emails that are rejected.

I would be perfectly fine with limiting the information if people are really that paranoid about header information.

Please don't call this paranoid. See [1] for an example of what metadata can disclose. I also note that yesterday the European court of justice ruled that indiscriminate collection of emails is illegal [2]. This ruling refers to the the 'DIRECTIVE 2006/24/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL' [3]. This 2006 EU Directive was not about storing contents of messages, but about the collection and storage of metadata in relation to telecom- and data communication including e-mail communication. As you can see from article 93 of yesterdays ruling, the Court sees privacy as a fundamental right. Let me also quote article 99 from the ruling:

That data, taken as a whole, is liable to allow very precise conclusions to be drawn concerning the private lives of the persons whose data has been retained, such as everyday habits, permanent or temporary places of residence, daily or other movements, the activities carried out, the social relationships of those persons and the social environments frequented by them (see, by analogy, in relation to Directive 2006/24, the /Digital Rights judgment/, paragraph 27). In particular, that data provides the means, as observed by the Advocate General in points 253, 254 and 257 to 259 of his Opinion, of establishing a profile of the individuals concerned, information that is no less sensitive, having regard to the right to privacy, than the actual content of communications.

As John (Levine) already said:

"[...] the privacy issues are just as bad with the headers."

For example: date, receiving server information, originating smtp server sender, and subject line. This would be a good start at least.

Except for the subject line, this is precisely the information the EU wanted to enforce the Internet providers to collect and retain and what they no longer may do.

Let's make DMARC powerful and efficient instead of a "cool idea".

Now that more and more people become aware of the pricacy nightmare we're in, it is time to rethink this and try to concentrate on DKIM and ARC and focus on reputation instead of 'p=reject' (which has caused the need to get these reports).

/rolf

[1] https://labs.rs/en/metadata
[2] http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf;jsessionid=9ea7d0f130d62f596fa649ac47c69269818d1dc7ebbd.e34KaxiLc3eQc40LaxqMbN4PahaOe0?text=&docid=186492&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=929206 [3] http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:105:0054:0063:EN:PDF