On 28/10/17 06:55, Dave Crocker via dmarc-discuss wrote:

There's a meta-lesson here, given how relatively mature and heavily-used DMARC is, which ought to make it surprising that this sort of thing pops up this late.

But I can't figure out what sort of productive statement to make to describe the lesson or what to do about it...

Guidance to receivers (is there any?) might be expanded to encourage observance of Postel's law. Even if receivers wish to take the "we're doing you a favour" perspective or the "we don't want to enable still more broken software" perspective and therefore not accommodate domain registrants with invalid DMARC records, they might consider a courtesy note where a record exists that is clearly an attempt at a legitimate record (rather than an artefact of some other malfunction) but is not correct enough to permit reliable automated processing.

The meta-lesson might simply be to bear Postel's law in mind when drafting standards and guidance: take for granted that there will be invalid messages/records/etc. out there and think through up front what to do with them. In request/response protocols it's straight-forward: return an error. In cases where information in published for asynchronous automated consumption, it probably needs to be thought through on a case-by-case basis.

- Roland