Would this really help?

You haven't explained what you mean by "a little hard to consume". On the face of it, it's just an integer; a 1 is no easier to perform arithmetic on than a 2,436. If what you mean is that it's difficult to make meaningful comparison between the number that you send and the number reported received then that's true of course, but that would remain the case as you'd have no way to work out which of the counts in the individual receiver reports included messages that had been processed by mailing lists; you'd replace your 2,436 with an indeterminate number between 1 and, say, 100.

- Roland