On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:43 AM, Sven Krohlas <sven.kroh...@1und1.de> wrote:

> RFC 7372 proposes to use a 550 response code for reverse DNS auth
> failures, see section 3.3.
>
> Reverse DNS checks are usually done early in the connection (like IP
> blocks) in the connection establishment stage of the SMTP dialog.
>
> RFC 5321 allows only a 554 error response there, see section 4.3.2.
>
> So, shouldn't a 554 code be used here? Or does RFC 5321 need an update?

The definitions in 5321 are:

   550  Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (e.g., mailbox
      not found, no access, or command rejected for policy reasons)

   554  Transaction failed (Or, in the case of a connection-opening
      response, "No SMTP service here")

550 seems right to me.  It's a rejection for policy reasons, not a general
transaction failure or the total absence of SMTP service.

-MSK