On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Brandon Long <bl...@google.com> wrote:

> The google implementation pre-dates cv=invalid, and when I went to
> implement it, I couldn't find a good reason to do so, nor a great
> bright-line rule for how to differentiate the two.
>
> I don't see the point of trying to continue the chain after a cv=fail, so
> having a mechanism to do so, and the possibly complicated rules associated
> with it, seem pointless.

Are you suggesting that we remove cv=invalid and leave everything under
cv=fail, because that's all that matters to transmit downstream via the AS?

And then, if someone wants to really make it clear what happened, that
could be stamped in an A-R header like "arc=fail (invalid ARC set at i=3:
too many headers)"? Or do you think at this juncture, in the A-R
"arc=invalid" makes sense like "arc=invalid (missing AS for i=2)" to
differentiate ARC set failures from all other failures?

The alternative would be to strip the arc-set entirely and start fresh.
> That seems to have minor benefit, so I didn't implement that, either, but I
> could imagine doing that if some useful case came up.  This is also
> strictly more useful than trying to persist an invalid chain.  I could see
> a cv=restart as an equivalent to cv=none for this type of case, I guess.

I think "restarting" an ARC chain makes no sense. If the chain breaks, it's
broken. Custody's been lost and you don't get to show up with a new message.