> 9.4.  Handling DNS Problems While Validating ARC
>    DNS failures to resolve or return data which is needed for ARC
>    validation SHOULD result in a 421 tempfail during the SMTP
>    conversation with the sending system.  Temporary or intermittent DNS
>    problems will generally not be sufficiently transitory to allow a
>    mediator to obtain a different result during the ordinary transit
>    duration so it is better to have the source system queue the
>    problematic message(s) than to generate (potential) backscatter.
>
>    Operators of systems which mediate mail should be aware that broken
>    DNS records (or malfunctioning name servers) will result in
>    undeliverable mail to any downstream ARC-verifying ADMDs.
>
>    DNS-based failures to verify a chain are treated no differently than
>    any other ARC violation.  They result in a "cv=fail" verdict.

I don't know if SHOULD is the right choice here.

For a large percentage of mail, ARC is unnecessary, even when
forwarded through an intermediary.  The mail will continue to DMARC
pass, or the mail will not be for a DMARC p=reject domain.

I think that issuing a temp fail instead of a perm fail on a DMARC
reject if the arc chain may have allowed a local policy override is
useful, but to temp fail all arc dns failures may be more harmful than
helpful.

I think I used the dns failure case as a place where cv=fail instead
of just not signing was actually more harmful, but that seemed more
complicated than others were willing to go.

Of course, passing the dns failure from a separate arc milter to a
dmarc milter to make that determination is complicated, though in
authres terms, we could use an arc=tempfail result to pass that info
on.

Brandon