On 10/31/2017 10:57 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:

In a couple of days I will ask Alexey to cancel the dmarc session in
Singapore, unless someone very quickly shouts, “Noooooooo, don’t do
that!  We need to meet and talk about <this>.”

Barry, as chair

Once again, my expectations were off about what the key DKIM cogs would do to complete this long time project in regards to DKIM policy and even trust layers.

I've been waiting for over a decade for the DKIM Policy layer to be established. Spent much dollars, engineering time, product development, sweat and tears working on ADSP, a then proposed standard, only to be "replaced" with non-proposed standard "Super ADSP" DMARC that did not solve the complaints about ADSP, but instead carried the problem on, and pushed it into the market place like the problem never existed.

So are we going to complete this thing or what? I have been waiting and willing to "follow" the leaders to finally complete this thing. Is ARC resolving these 3rd party issues? It doesn't look that way, or at least I don't see it, other than ramming the overhead down our throats.

You should at least have a meeting to decide what you are going to do with DMARC. It should be turned into a Proposed Standard. It needs 3rd party policy considerations. It needs more policy options, including describing how ARC is expected to work by domain owners who expect to use it.

I really don't quite understand the engineering difficulty in completing a 3rd party solution we all know will work for "cheaper and better" than any ARC plan.

DMARC is very limiting.  I am proposing:

1) Rewrite DMARC as a IETF proposed standard,
2) Incorporate 3rd party authorization concepts like ATPS into DMARC as extension tags, 3) Incorporate ARC somehow into Policy that tells receivers what to expect, i.e. # of hops, etc.

I would like to think these are all just DMARC options but it needs to be IETF sanctioned in order to get support which will finally give people a confident chancee to explore these options in earnest.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com