On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 1:41 PM, Kurt Andersen (b) <kb...@drkurt.com> wrote:

> If I missed this, I apologize, but would it be possible to post a message
>> which summarizes the nature/goals of the changes that are planned?
>>
>> I'm not challenging the work, but just wanting to make sure the wg is in
>> synch about how the doc should be adjusted.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> The intent is outlined in high level within the -10 version (section 5.2)
> of the protocol doc. The better explanation is in Seth's email from
> September (https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/
> xUUbT15vqoBmH7RraJ_pesrd9z0):

So to be really specific, those are the implications for the ARC draft
post-7601bis, not the initial intent for 7601bis itself (which is tied
closely, but distinct).

The ARC impetus for an update to 7601 was twofold:
1) To allow for ARC information to be encoded in the A-R in a way that is
allowed in the registry
    a) to keep the AAR definition crisp
    b) to avoid hacks like a header.ds tuple
    c) to allow all the information needed for a DMARC report to be
properly stamped without resorting to shenanigans or a 4th header
2) To allow for authres ABNF to be inheritable

Seth