On 6/2/2020 8:45 PM, Douglas E. Foster wrote:

Someone said that the Sender Address is all we can trust. Nonsense.

+1

As to identifiers: The RFC 5321 MAILFROM sender is intended, at least
in my understanding, to represent the login account used to create the
message, while the RFC 5322 From Header represents the "speaker", the
person whose ideas are being represented by the content. It matters if
someone puts words in someone else's mouth, and From fraud is exactly
that type of fraud.

You bring up a basic fundamental reason what the 5322.From field is the only signature binding requirement for DKIM. When it comes to exclusive mail, it is the anchor that is associated with:

- Login Account
- The Alias or Display Name,
- The Default From name for local messages

and if the message is exported for a network mail system then we have the additional related identities:

- 5322.From
- 5321.Mail From

In the restrictive DKIM Policy Model, all these identities are closely tied together. They are usually represented and traceable to one person and thus illustrating the long time "Proof Of Concept" that a restrictive DKIM Policy is so powerful, "It's Scary!" A break or deviation from this expectation is a strong candidate for rejection.

I simply cannot grasp how DMARC conflicts with RFC 5321 or RFC 5322,
inhibits authorship, or creates any other attribution problem. This
assertion was simply not explained.

I believe they are simply catching up with the list problem. Thats all.

The problem was recognized long ago with SSP, ADSP. But when ADSP was abandoned for these lists problem and replaced with DMARC, the list problem was no longer a concern but DMARC did not resolve the list problem and it appears DMARC "Proposed Standard" will not try to address it.

--
HLS