On 7/20/2020 6:18 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
I'm not sure we've ever fully faced the idea that what MUAs choose to display needs to be factored into the evolution of these protocols.  For as long as I've been working on this, it's been the opposite.

Although various people keep citing affecting display based on dmarc, that's never been the essence of its motivation.  Which is good, because users are not affected by trust indicators. Really.  Not.

It's entirely reasonable to start with the idea that it might (or should) help end-user evaluation, but human factors don't serve the master of that kind of logic. To date, online experience is that users are essentially impervious to trust indicators.(*)

Rather, DMARC serves to provide some clean data to the receiving filtering engine, which is the only venue that matters for email safety.  (Well, and originating filtering engines, of course.) Not the MUA.

d/

(*) Obviously, if you have some data to the contrary...

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking