I was quite surprised -- at the level of astonished -- to see the
pushback on the Author header-field proposal, since it is such a simple
and straightforward mechanism.

The different bits in the message are simple enough.

The problem is that it might as well be called Really-From, and then

Your opening item is that you don't like the name of the field?

In any event, I suggested "Author" because it is simple and accurate. Something like what you suggest - on the off-chance you are serious -- offers distracting tone and baggage.

when enough systems do mutant DMARC to cause the same problems with
Really-From that we have with From,

That's a premise with no foundation and arguably no validity.

At the least, if you are going to use this as the substance of your concern, perhaps you could explain with some care why you are so certain this will happen.

Here's why I think it won't:  They already have From:.

The real value in DMARC is not what is displayed to the end-user but in having a required field that cites the originating domain name. That doesn't change if there are additional fields that might or might not mention the originating domain.

the step after that is
Really-Really-From, so on ad nauseam. While that happens (or maybe
doesn't) we have no idea whether MUAs will display it or let you enter

The question of whether any MUAs will implement this is the same concern for any proposal. So on its own, that would mean we never do anything unless implementers and operators promise to use it. Absent an IETF formal policy to that end...

it or automatically make it the same as From or maybe something else,
likely making it a disaster for interoperability.

I think the DMARC sender draft is a lot more promising.

It has it's own problems.

There's no perfection here, since the task is retro-fitting work-arounds to an established mechanism that has been altered. As I've noted, realistically, DMARC makes the From: field be the Sender: field.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking