On 29 Jan 2021, at 12:30, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 3:02 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

I just run a quick test on my current folder.  Out of 3879 messages I
extracted
944 unique helo names. 721 of these matched the reverse lookup exactly.
Out
of the 223 remaining, 127 had an SPF pass for the helo identity anyway.
So in
96 cases, roughly 10%, the helo name was indeed junk. Isn't the remaining
~90%
something worth considering?

The issue isn’t the existing use of HELO names, it’s how they could be (mis-)used. The fact that a message sender can put anything there makes HELO basically meaningless.

I am admittedly quite heavily biased against using the HELO/EHLO value for anything. I have simply never found value in it, probably because at the SMTP layer it's simply a value that gets logged or used in cute ways in the human-readable portion of SMTP. I seem to recall (but cannot seem to find at the moment) RFC 5321 saying you can't reject HELO/EHLO based on a bogus
value, so it's even explicitly not useful to me.

Even if it's not junk, there's pretty much always something else on which to hang a pass/fail decision about the apparent authenticity of a message that at least feels safer if not actually being more sound. Or put another way, if you present to me a DKIM-signed message with a MAIL FROM value and
the only thing that passes is an SPF check against HELO, I'm mighty
skeptical.

Anyway, I'll let consensus fall where it may.

+1 to Murray’s comments. I realize that null MAIL FROM on bounce messages is a problem for SPF, but relying on HELO is not a reasonable substitute.

-Jim