On 2/18/2021 9:10 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
Circling back to this:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:56 PM Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com <mailto:dcroc...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 1/29/2021 12:15 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
    On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 7:51 AM Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com
    <mailto:dcroc...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            organization can use to improve mail handling.  The design of DMARC
            presumes that domain names represent either nodes in the tree below
            which registrations occur, or nodes where registrations have
        DMARC does not have 'registrations'.

I'm struggling to understand the concern here.  I think we all know what it means to register a domain, and that the namespace is arranged as a tree,

With the intent of building upon Barry's note:

<pedanty> Specification writing requires clarity of who the reader is and empathy with the experience they will have reading the document.  </pedantry>

In that context "we all know" is automatically a red flag for requiring overly insider expertise.

However in this case, I think the problem is worse.

Simply put, I believe the text does not say what it means to distinguish, even for an expert reader.  So, yes, we all know what you say we know.

But in fact that's not the point of the text.  It's trying to make some other point,  I assume it's about a type of boundary status, but it doesn't say that, nevermind saying it clearly and with enough technical and semantic detail to distinguish it.

The text you offer:

Maybe this is better, just for the sake of having something else to look at?

    DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and
    Conformance) is a scalable mechanism by which a mail-originating
    organization can express domain-level policies and preferences for
    message validation, disposition, and reporting, that a mail-receiving
    organization can use to improve mail handling.  The design of DMARC
    presumes that domain names represent nodes in the DNS tree that are either
    reserved as points below which new domain name registrations are made, or
are
    the results of those registrations; it does not permit a node to have both
of these
    properties simultaneously.  Since its deployment in 2015, use of
    DMARC has shown a clear need for the ability to express policy for
    these domains as well.
moves closer to the mark, I think, but still doesn't get there.

EVERY node can have sub-nodes registered.  So it isn't clear what 'reserved' means.

Worse is that:

   reserved as points below which new domain name registrations are made, or are
   the results of those registrations; it does not permit a node to have both
of these
   properties simultaneously.

doesn't make sense to me.  I suspect an average technical reader will be at least as confused as I am.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
dcroc...@gmail.com