From: John R Levine <jo...@taugh.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 5:53 PM
To: Charles Gregory <char...@possumdelight.com>; Gren Elliot
<gell...@mimecast.com>; dmarc@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dmarc-ietf] Sender vs From Addresses

>>> It is a problem when receiving servers use DMARC existence and
>>> pass/fail to increase/decrease deliverability rates. - And when
>>> Yahoo/AOL pretty much block everything you send - even with a 98
>>> sender score, SPF, DKIM, and clean opt-in lists.
>
>> Are they rejecting on DMARC failure because you're publishing p=reject?
>
> NO p=none

I know people at Yahoo, and their filtering is largely based on complaint
statistics.  If they're blocking your mail, the recipients are marking a lot of
it as junk.  What do you see in the feedback reports?

> I DO think this is an unnecessary problem that CAN be fixed/improved
> in one of two fairly straightforward manners through DNS (behavior
> switch or list authorized alternate domains).  And I can't see
> anything but upside in doing so; nobody has demonstrated a downside anyways.

I explained the downside to Sender a few messages back: it lets people put any
address they want in the From line so it becomes just a filter on the
reputation of the DKIM or SPF domain.  If that were adequate, they wouldn't
have invented DMARC.

I agree that there is no particular downside to something like ATPS, but the
fact that we've had ATPS for a decade and nobody has implemented it tells me
that this is not a problem that the industry thinks is worth solving.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY Please
consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly