On Thu, 11 Aug 2022, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
It only works if all or most lists add Author (none do today, and it would
take a long time to get this rolled out if they started), and no other
software co-opts and mutates it for whatever reason.  Those are big enough
conditions that I'm a bit worried about writing a standards-track document
that depends on it.

When Dave proposed the Author header, part of the idea was that DMARC could use it rather than From. Even if we did that, which would be a bad idea for other reasons, it would take forever for people to change their software.

I agree that telling people to change their mailing lists to avoid damage that we caused is outside our scope. And again even if we did that, I can't imagine it surviving IETF last call.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY