Re-looking at the definition of "SHOULD NOT", I don't see why it can't be considered.

"SHOULD NOT - This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed before implementing any behavior described with this label."

Seems to fit perfectly with how domain owners currently can pick and choose interoperability with p=none over more strict protection, or vice versa with p=reject, in my opinion. Is that not considered "acceptable" by this definition's context?