It appears that Murray S. Kucherawy  <superu...@gmail.com> said:
>(1) MLMs don't necessarily want to start doing DNS queries.  They operate
>just fine never touching the DNS today; this is a new dependency and bunch
>of stuff they have to learn to apply and suppot.

Depends how they're set up.  In the common case that the inbound MTA adds an A-R
header, it can get the DMARC policy there.  That's how my dmarc.fail shim works.

>(2) An author domain can decide to affix this at its discretion, ...

The basic problem is that author domains lie about their policy, i.e.,
p=none but they expect mailing lists to work, and their users are
stuck.

R's,
John