We tend to talk about legitimacy in contrast to malice or criminality, but
in my economics classes, legitimacy was less pejorative.   Gaining
legitimacy meant gaining the social acceptance to continue operating.
 When a business gains enough customers to turn a profit, it has
legitimacy.   If it goes bankrupt, it is because it has lost, or never
achieved, legitimacy.

When John says that list members plead their case, but their pleas are
dismissed unsympathetically, it is evidence that mailing lists have a
legitimacy problem.   As with many social issues, there are extremes:  AOL
has unmoveably chosen security over list access.  The EDU community has
chosen list access over perceived security benefits.   In the middle are
people who might be convinced, but need convincing.   These are the people
that should be the focus of effort by mailing list advocates.

A salesman friend has quoted the proverb that, "Nothing happens in our
economy until somebody sells something."   The mailing list advocates,
which seem to be most members of this group, need to find a way to market
better, to gain legitimacy with the middle ground that might be convinced.

As an administrator of a business email system, I find myself in that
middle ground.   So here are the areas where I would like to be convinced:

   1. Why is it necessary for mailing lists, in general, to modify
   content?   RFC 7960 needed a companion document on this topic,   When I
   read 7960, I was unmoved because my thought was, "Intermediaries should not
   be modifying content in the first place."    There must be others who have
   the same response.   I doubt that RFC 7960 changed any attitudes, because
   it never addressed the "why" behind the problem.

   2. Even if I become convinced, in concept, that SOME mailing lists need
   to make SOME content changes, I would not conclude that ANY mailing list
   must be allowed to make ANY change, without limit.   Before embracing a
   particular list, I would want to know the particulars of what changes that
   list makes, and why those changes are necessary to the success of that
   list.   Isn't that reasonable?   Are there any industry norms for this type
   of disclosure?    If not, why not?   If there are norms, why am I unable to
   find such information for this list?   For this forum, I don't know what
   attachments are allowed, whether posts are subject to malware scanning,
   whether TinyURLs and their equivalents are allowed, or anything else
   related to participation security.  I just checked the link at the bottom
   of every message, and it contained nothing about these topics.

   3. Assuming that the first two objections are overcome, the last one
   remains critical.   Acceptance of broken signatures will mean that I
   delegate responsibility for sender authentication from myself to the list
   server.   Can the list under discussion be trusted to ensure that both
   MailFrom and From are free of deception?   Given my assumption that we are
   talking about closed lists, this should be feasible.    Ale's abuse
   demonstration was a deal breaker for me, because it demonstrated that this
   list cannot be trusted with delegated responsibility for
   sender authentication.    What will be done to restore my trust in this
   list?  What can be done to ensure that trustworthy sender authentication is
   the industry norm, rather than the exception?   When I can trust the list
   to authenticate every post, I don't need to detect and parse an ARC set on
   every message.   If I can only trust messages with DMARC PASS in an ARC
   Set, then I will never be able to accept more than a subset of all messages
   sent to me by a list server.

As much as I hear the felt pain of mailing list advocates, I find the list
industry to be woefully deficient on all three of these topics, and I see
no movement to address any of the three.   If list advocates want to
increase legitimacy with people in the middle ground, these issues need to
be addressed.    Without it, I do not believe your language choice between
"MUST NOT", "SHOULD NOT", and "should not" will make any difference.

Doug Foster