On April 19, 2023 1:37:25 PM UTC, Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com> wrote:

>> On 19 Apr 2023, at 14:20, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>>
>> It appears that Jesse Thompson  <z...@fastmail.com> said:
>>> -=-=-=-=-=-

>>> aligned authentication? That means custom SPF domains and custom DKIM
>>> signatures.

>>> +1 to this question. It's entirely unclear to ESPs whether they're allowed
>>> to spoof a domain that has no DMARC policy. ESPs
>>> can furthermore conclude that Domain Owners who publish p=reject|quarantine
>>> are violating DMARCbis, and subsequentlly the
>>> domain's policy declaration is invalid, and can be ignored.
>>
>> Please see my previous comment about trying to enumerate every dumb thing
>> people might do.
>>
>> I very strenuously do not want us trying to guess how ESPs think nor
>> offering them advice beyond
>> the interop advice we offer everyone else.
>
>That was my question: is it an interop issue that ESPs (whether they be your
>traditional ESP or a SaaS provider that sends mail on behalf of their
>customers) cannot support custom domains in the SPF and DKIM and thus cannot
>support DMARC? Many of the current companies have made the decision that
>supporting DMARC is too hard, and so what they do is use their own domain for
>DMARC (some publish restrictive polices and some don’t).
>
>> In this specific case, if the company publishes p=reject, and they hire an
>> ESP, and the company
>> is too inept to figure out how to let the ESP send aligned mail, well, yeah,
>> then the company's
>> actual policy is clearly not their published policy, and the ESP can do
>> whatever it wants.  So
>> let's not go there.
>

>To me it’s not so much the company can’t delegate authentication - it’s how
>many SaaS providers (some of which are ESPs and some of which are 3rd parties
>that send through ESPs) are incapable of supporting DMARC alignment. Not it’s
>hard, not it’s challenging, but simply … can’t. They cannot sign with foreign
>DKIM domains, and they cannot support different domains for SPF
>authentication.
>
>Should DMARCbis make the recommendation that if you are providing mail
>services that you SHOULD be able to support corporate customers using DMARC?

No.  I don't think so, certainly not in DMARCbis.

There may be room for an email authentication BCP and this might fit in there,
but I think that's something to think about after we get the current work done.

The current DKIM working group topic might also be something that should be
addressed in such a BCP.

Scott K