On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 7:18 PM John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> It appears that Emil Gustafsson  <e...@google.com> said:
> >I don't know if there is a better way to encode that, but I'm supportive
> of
> >making a change that that would allow domains to tell us (gmail) that they
> >prefer us to require both dkim and spf for DMARC evaluation (or whatever
> >combination of DKIM and SPF they desire).
>
> I really don't understand what problem this solves. More likely people
> will see blog posts telling them auth=dkim+spf is "more secure",
> they'll add that without understanding what it means, and all that
> will happen is that more of their legit mail will disappear.
>
> If you're worried about DKIM replay attacks, let's fix that rather
> than trying to use SPF, which as we know has all sorts of problems of
> its own, as a band-aid.
>
> R's,
> John

I agree with John's point that dkim+spf doesn't make sense in the context
of strict DMARC enforcement (I think it provides value for p=none domains
but it's not worth that complexity). If we leave out `dkim+spf` as an
option then we can still solve >90% of the problem at hand without having
confused users misusing that option. I would support allowing the following
options for the auth tag:
   "auth=dkim|spf (default value: same as current state), auth=dkim,
auth=spf"