On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 8:37 AM Mark Alley <mark.alley=
40tekmarc....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> From my understanding, that would most likely result in a permerror code
> for evaluation, given that's not syntactically valid per the ABNF for the
> dmarc-record, see below where it only shows each tag once from section 6.4
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#section-6.4> in 7489.
>
> In DMARCbis, I don't see this particular table in section 5.4
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-28#section-5.4>,
> but given the tags are all mentioned explicitly once in both ABNFs, it
> would imply they're expected only once in the record, otherwise, permerror;
> But I'll defer to the authors if that's correct.

Correct, the ABNF doesn't allow this construction, so it's a syntax error.

If you want more than just the ABNF to defend that position, have a look at
the DKIM RFC, from which this syntax was cloned; it says:

   Tags with duplicate names MUST NOT occur within a single tag-list; if
   a tag name does occur more than once, the entire tag-list is invalid.

-MSK