Colleagues,

My efforts in producing this rev focused on incorporating many of the
comments from WGLC. Some of those comments were in regards to lack of
clarity in language, section ordering, and the like, and the comments
weren't wrong.

I've made a concerted effort to go through the entire document from front
to back and ensure a consistency of usage of terminology, so that every
time $THING was discussed, the same term was used for it. One prime example
of this was my replacing all references to RFC5322.From domain with Author
Domain, since Author Domain is a defined term in the document ("The domain
name of the apparent author as extracted from the RFC5322.From Header
field.") and its usage flows better when reading (in my opinion) than does
"RFC5322.From domain".

I also took great pains to try to ensure that the first usage of a defined
term in a given section was then linked back to the term's definition, so
there's now lots of, sticking with our example, "[Author
Domain](#author-domain)" in the markdown version of the document. I may
have missed a few places to do this, and this may have been massive
overkill on my part, but I was inspired by Mr. Fenton's WGLC comments (
https://github.com/ietf-wg-dmarc/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis/issues/142).

The upshot here is that rev -31 is both significantly different from rev
-30 and not that different at all, in my opinion. The text is certainly
different, and the ordering of some sections has changed, but the contents
are not all that different (save for this rev having N=8 for the Tree Walk,
vice 5 in the previous version and one or two other bits).

Have at it.

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 2:46 PM <internet-dra...@ietf.org> wrote:

> Internet-Draft draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-31.txt is now available. It is a
> work
> item of the Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance
> (DMARC) WG of the IETF.
>
>    Title:   Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and
> Conformance (DMARC)
>    Authors: Todd M. Herr
>             John Levine
>    Name:    draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-31.txt
>    Pages:   76
>    Dates:   2024-05-20
>
> Abstract:
>
>    This document describes the Domain-based Message Authentication,
>    Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC) protocol.
>
>    DMARC permits the owner of an email's Author Domain (#author-domain)
>    to enable validation of the domain's use, to indicate the Domain
>    Owner's (#domain-owner) or Public Suffix Operator's (#public-suffix-
>    operator) message handling preference regarding failed validation,
>    and to request reports about the use of the domain name.  Mail
>    receiving organizations can use this information when evaluating
>    handling choices for incoming mail.
>
>    This document obsoletes RFCs 7489 and 9091.
>
> The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis/
>
> There is also an HTML version available at:
> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-31.html

> https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-31
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
> rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

Todd Herr | Technical Director, Standards & Ecosystem
Email: todd.h...@valimail.com
Phone: 703-220-4153

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.