Hi Marco,

Might be difficult to converge over email on this topic. But, I will try.

> Then: If we think about the case 2b below, that implies that the initially
> selected
DPA (is it the home DPA in your model?) binds a HoA which is topologically
not correct from the very beginning. Here, traffic steering may be required from
the first registration already. I am just wondering if there is a reasonable
use case
behind this. PI address binding?

The entity (CP and/or DP) where the subscriber's control plane state got
created is always "Home CPA" and the entity where the subscriber home address
(lets say EID :) ) is topologically anchored is always the "home DPA". There is
no reason for the home CPA to allocate a DPA and a prefix that have not
topological relation. IMO, the CPA should ensure it allocates a topologically
correct address, by selecting a DPA and the allocated address pool associated
with that anchor.   Any incorrect allocation may happen for supporting session
chaining in roaming scenarios, but truly the home CPA in such scenario is
outside the admin domain.  If our goal is for realizing optimized routing, we
rather ensure there is no traffic steering requirement after the first
registration. But again, there are two scenarios  here. The a.) very flat model
with a controller and a bunch of DPA's that Pete was interested in (Pete's
model), and the b) model of splitting CP and DP in access and home domains. For
the former case, the DPA (Home+Access) will always be a floating anchor,  but
for the later case, its only the access DPA which is a floating anchor. IMO, in
both the cases, the aspect of CPA migration is rare and for very specific
use-cases that we need to qualify.

Moving a mobile’s mobility state (binding a HoA to a locator) from a previous
DPA to a new DPA
is gateway relocation. Well, relocation of the data plane anchor. The control
plane anchor
will/may stay the same.

HoA to COA binding change  (EID to Locator mapping) should not be looked at as
gateway relocation. Unless we move the address across anchors by updating the
routing infrastructure, there is never a DPA migration. The moment we talk
about Locator, it implies we have access DPA and home DPA, and change of access
DPA is not relocation, its only a state change on the home DPA. The DPA
relocation is mainly for the very flat, pete's model. But, again, that model
will be bounded in size, given the # of routes.

Agree, the CPA relocation is rare,  specially in the controller-based
architectures. We have some use cases for Geo-Redundancy where CPA migration
will be needed, but again we need to qualify that use-cases as that comes at
some cost.

Regards
Sri

From: Marco Liebsch <marco.lieb...@neclab.eu<mailto:marco.lieb...@neclab.eu>>
Date: Monday, July 14, 2014 5:50 AM
To: Sri Gundavelli <sgund...@cisco.com<mailto:sgund...@cisco.com>>,
"dmm@ietf.org<mailto:dmm@ietf.org>" <dmm@ietf.org<mailto:dmm@ietf.org>>
Subject: RE: [DMM] demand for DMM traffic steering

Hi Sri,
Thanks for your prompt response. please see inline.