From: Peter McCann <peter.mcc...@huawei.com<mailto:peter.mcc...@huawei.com>>
Date: Friday, October 23, 2015 at 6:33 AM
To: Sri Gundavelli <sgund...@cisco.com<mailto:sgund...@cisco.com>>, John
Kaippallimalil
<john.kaippallima...@huawei.com<mailto:john.kaippallima...@huawei.com>>,
"dmm@ietf.org<mailto:dmm@ietf.org>" <dmm@ietf.org<mailto:dmm@ietf.org>>
Subject: RE: [DMM] FW: New Version Notification for
draft-mccann-dmm-prefixcost-02.txt

We can’t send just a single prefix (lowest cost), taking away the higher-cost
prefixes, because the network doesn’t know how many outstanding references
(open sockets) there are for the high-cost prefix, and it doesn’t know the
damage it would cause by breaking those ongoing sessions.  The MN needs to
explicitly release a prefix when it is no longer using it.

Why would you tell me that I am not allowed to distinguish between a long
tunnel and a short tunnel?  They impose dramatically different costs on the
network operator, and  we will need to inform the MN about this so it can move
its applications off of the high-cost prefix and on to the lower cost prefixes.

I also don’t see the reason to expose the network mobility management scheme to
the MN.  Why does the MN care that it’s a tunnel being used, and not a set of
routing table entries?

-Pete