From: 5gangip [mailto:5gangip-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of FIGURELLE, TERRY F
Sent: 24 January 2018 11:58
To: Ca By <cb.li...@gmail.com>; d.l...@surrey.ac.uk
Cc: 5gan...@ietf.org; alexandre.petre...@gmail.com; nick.heat...@bt.com
Subject: Re: [5gangip] IPv6 GTP-C/GTP-U

We have deployed more than 20k eNB’s that use IPv6 only transport for S1-U and
all of our SGW’s and PGW’s support IPv6 transport for GTP-U and GTP-C. We
actually are working with Syniverse for IPv6 IPX for S8. We already have inter
lab over production Syniverse IPX between AT&T and six other major telecoms
(Bell Canada, Rogers, DoCoMo, etc.).

We are running  production VoLTE (ims APN) using IPv6 GTP-U|GTP-C with UE IPv6
only and the common general purpose APN (nxtgenphone) supports IPv4 only, IPv6
only and currently IPv4v6 (deprecated by 3GPP). This includes two UE operating
systems which cover 97% of the market share. Only handful of devices where
certified for IPv4v6. All devices AT&T has certified since the launch or UMS
support IPv4 only, IPv6 only and “IPv4 or IPv6”. AT&T’s device requirements are
considered the gold standard in the mobile industry. All of the major vendors
for EPC support IPv6 GTP transport and we have 42 million active subscribers
running on a virtualize EPC (Intel COTS hardware, hypervisor, etc.) that
supports IPv6 GTP. Verizon, T-Mobile (USA) and Sprint also use IPv6.

GM’s OnStar uses IPv6 only VoLTE over IPv6 GTP-U in North America they use UE
IPv4 only for the other APN’s but those still use IPv6 GTP-U in North America.
BMW and other auto companies also support IPv6 GTP-U in North America. AT&T was
the first to support LTE roaming and we helped Bell Canada and Rogers support
it. We can use direct connections (IPX bypass) or Syniverse IPX for LTE
roaming. There are a number of country specific IPX but Syniverse now supports
interop with a large number of telecoms via their IPX or in conjunction with
country specific IPX.

Ericson, Huawei, Samsung and Nokia all support IPv6 GTP-U eNB’s. Spirent,
Tektronix and other test tool vendors all support IPv6 GTP-C|GTP-U. IPv6 GTP
has been supported for several years in production networks. It’s very common
in Asian countries too.

Hopefully this ends the IPv6 GTP thread!!!

Terry Figurelle
Lead Member of Technical Staff
Wireless Network Arch. & Design
Mobility Core