Security always has convenience and cost trade-offs.

A paper addressing one aspect of this is:

"Experimental evaluation of the IP address space randomisation (IASR)
technique and its disruption to selected network services"
Maxwell Dondo, DRDC – Ottawa Research Centre
www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=AD1004299

The only one of the techniques cited therein with which I am familiar in
detail is ARCSYNE, which is not open source / open standards based;
however, ID/locator separation can be used to develop standards based IP
address hopping [using mobility/multihoming support techniques], as
presaged in Erik Nordmark's subject draft. Some ID/locator split
approaches may be more conducive to [location] privacy than others; a
recent (not security focused) overview of many of the approaches is:

"Locator/Identifier Split Networking: A Promising Future Internet
Architecture"
Bohao Feng, Hongke Zhang, Huachun Zhou, Shui Yu
IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 19 No. 4, 4th quarter 2017
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7983351/

Personally I am fond of the Host Identity Protocol (HIP), _inter alia_:
because, as a host based approach, it can minimize exposure of bindings
of HIs (athough it reveals HITs in the base exchange) to nodes other
than network path endpoints; and because HIs, as hashes of public keys,
can be pre-generated in batches and updated frequently. Unfortunately,
if HIs are stored in DNS HIP RRs (needed for Responder reachability from
Initiators without prior coordination), dynamic DNS updates could be
monitored to link successive HIs. IP address hopping (as a moving target
defense) still can commence once an association is established (enabling
HIP locator UPDATEs to be sent inside the IPsec ESP tunnel), but the
base exchange at the start of the session exposes both HITs. :-/ There
have been proposals to mitigate this but I don't see any sign of them in
RFC 7401.

On 7/3/2018 11:36 AM, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> agree...of course...
>
> just we need to start adding
> security +cost+ considerations...
> to drafts
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Jon Crowcroft
>> <jon.crowcr...@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> beware of sidechannel attacks - eg. a sequence of efficient routes can
>>> determine a sequence of locations just from latency/rtt estimation
>>> (observe outbound data and likely return path ack packets) - you want
>>> privacy, you're gonna pay
>>>

>> Yep, we also know there is a lot of effort being done to extract
>> information from cipher text like apply machine learning to the data.
>> As compute and data acquisition techniques advance, attacks on the
>> Internet only get more sophisticated. Work will always be needed to
>> mitigate new attacks and that will have cost. It's a never ending
>> problem, but it's worth it to continually try to solve IMHO.
>>
>> Tom

>> routing.

>> https://theintercept.com/2018/03/26/facebook-data-ice-immigration/).

>> discussion around

- --
Stuart W. Card, PhD: VP & Chief Scientist, Critical Technologies Inc.
* Creativity * Diversity * Expertise * Flexibility * Integrity *
Suite 400 Technology Center, 4th Floor 1001 Broad St, Utica NY 13501
315-793-0248 x141 FAX -9710 <stu.c...@critical.com> www.critical.com