Dino brought up a good point. Here is my two cents worth:

As it was explained by Sridhar,  each UE can have multiple contexts. For
example, today some operators provide Data and VoLTE service to their
customers. These two services are represented by separate GTP tunnels in the
core with each tunnel tied up to a particular QoS.

IPv4 didn't fit the bill when GTP work was under way as it couldn't uniquely
identify multiple UE sessions/context/bearer. So, GTP and TEID did the job. But
I agree with Dino that IPv6 is much more versatile and is definitely worth
looking at as an alternative.

A factor worth considering though is that the use of GTP and TEID in mobile
core allows operators to deal with QoS on their own terms. The tunnels with
specific operator-controlled QoS are established by the control plane between
eNB, SGW, and PGW. UEs or applications sitting in the UEs have no say in this.
Well at least till the packet exits operator's network.

Using the information in UE's IP packet header can jeopardise the above tight
QoS control. I think going down this path, operators need proof that they will
be still in the driving seat and QoS cannot be dictated/tampered by the UE or
any application running in it.

Now, here is an interesting question for the operators. Would any operator be
interested in allowing QoS  to be set by the UE or by applications running in
the UE and charged for by the network? "Yes" could potentially imply impacts on
the air interface, UE resource block allocation and can make scheduling on the
RAN side much more complex.

Arashmid