Hi there,

I'm trying to understand the documented options for debugging a
restarted DMTCP process.

I've been testing a few different environment variables trying to
get the dmtcp_restart process to pause for 15 seconds like it is
suppose to, so that I can attach to it with gdb.

There are various options in the documentation, environment variables
like:

DMTCP_RESTART_PAUSE
DMTCP_RESTART_PAUSE2
DMTCP_GDB_ATTACH_ON_RESTART

I am currently locked into using DMTCP version 2.3.1 at the present
time.  My program was compiled using gcc 6.4.0.  I am running under
CentOS release 6.8 Final, kernal 2.6.32-642.4.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP.

Have noted that the documentation states that prior to version 2.4
of DMTCP, the environment variable to use is named MTCP_RESTART_PAUSE.

I have tried setting MTCP_RESTART_PAUSE prior to the dmtcp_launch
command, and prior to both dmtcp_launch and dmtcp_restart commands
with no luck.  I am able to use gdb to attach to the process (more
easily from a separate terminal because of the standard output being
produced from my process in the dmtcp_restart process terminal) but
since there is no pause, gdb doesn't attach until later in the process
after the restart, all based on how quickly I can get the gdb attach
commmand typed in and entered.  Not really a reliable way to go :)

In any event, if there are known issues with regard to getting the
restart process to pause in version DMTCP 2.3.1, then that would
explain it, if however I am doing something wrong, then any help
would be appreciated.

My normal series of run commands go like this (just like the DMTCP
documentation)

MTCP_RESTART_PAUSE=1 dmtcp_launch --disable-alloc-plugin --no-coordinator --port 0
program.exe < input.dat

dmtcp_restart --port 0 --port-file dmtcpportfile checkpoint.dmtcp < input.int &

Do you think any of the command line options are causing any issues, like
my lack of using the coordinator?  Also, my program always reads a file from
standard input even during a restart.

Thanks,
Rick