Le 02/03/2015 23:43, T.J. Duchene a écrit :
We just see things differently. My first question would be: is there are a justified reason NOT to use C?

There is a very good reason, and I heard it was given by Kernighan and Ritchie: "we assume the programmer knows what (s)he is doing". And there is a second reason: C is very tied to the hardware; it is lacking abstractions.

The sentence can be compared to Ada's design rationale: "we assume the programmer is a human being" (meaning (s)he persistently makes mistakes). Maybe K&R never wrote that sentence, but I like it because it fits very well with the nature of the C language.

    unsigned u = -2; /* example */

I am very admirative of how the Linux kernel is efficient and safe, but everybody knows that this is achieved by hard work of some of the best C programmers in the world. This is THE exception. I had experiences of big programs in C and my experience is that debugging is long (and probably never ended) and evolution is a nightmare.

For me, the question is rather why choose a given language out of all available languages? And the reason is generally because the programmer feels more comfortable with one. It can be discussed wether the choice makes sense, but I don't see even why C should always be considered.

    Didier