----- Original Message -----
> From: "Robert Storey" <robert.sto...@gmail.com>
>
> First, thanks to all who replied.
>
> To me, the ideal solution would be if this was a user-configurable option.
> Would be great if you could, for example, just stick something into .bashrc
> for any user to allow automounting of USB devices, no matter which DE or
> window manager was being used. But I know it doesn't work that way. Just
> saying, it would make sense.
>
> pmount - yes, thanks for reminding me. I've used it eons ago. But all it does
> is allow one to mount a device without needing sudo. Still not really
> automounting.
>
> No one mentioned udevil. I just found it. Also not the same as automounting,
> but check out the interesting git home page:
>
> https://ignorantguru.github.io/udevil/

That guy also wrote spacefm.  It's a file manager which allows you to either
manually or automatically mount USB devices.  It can be configured to use
udevil, pmount, udisks1, or udisks2 to perform that function.

Spacefm is currently unsupported by the developer.

In the past I've used pcmanfm to perform this function, but on Jessie, it
seems to require systemd stuff in order to handle mounting.

-Rob