On 19/06/15 00:04, Noel Torres wrote:
Didier Kryn <k...@in2p3.fr> escribió:
[...]
I expect the dependency chain should be something like:

And if each of those <daemon>-*-init packages depended on their
respective init system, and each of those init systems provide the
virtual package "init" (as is the case in Debian and Devuan Jessie),
then apt should be able to work out that when installing <daemon>
that because sysvinit-core is the package providing init that it must
also install <daemon>-sysv-init in order to satisfy the dependency.
The problem is whether changing init systems would result in pulling
in the new <daemon>-*-init dependency required for the new init system.

Thoughts??

    This is the normal way of implementing this kind of multiple
alternative dependencies in Debian, AFAIU. The only reason I did not
advocate this before is that it would bring in a bunch of new packages
each containing only one small file. But this might not be a big deal
after all, considering it solves the problem completely, allows to get
rid of the irritating systemd service files, and treats all other init
systems equally.

    I support this idea.
                                    Didier

I support it as well, but this implies the extra work of putting the
sysvinit scripts in separate packages, and that's quite a lot of work,
and deepens the Delta with our Upstream (a.k.a. Debian), so when they
fix something (e.g. a bug in Apache) we will need to port that to our
package, instead of just copying their package.

It's just a change in the control file and install files in debian/ for the package. No big deal really.

Maybe a compromise solution is to do this for all init systems but
sysvinit, for Jessie, and work on the fully "hairy" dependency chain for
Jessie+1 a.k.a Ascii.

That could work, but there is nothing stop starting that work in ascii now (except all the work needed to get Jessie out the door).

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.