On 26/11/2015 20:02, KatolaZ wrote:
On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 07:14:35PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

[cut]

That's correct.  You can put the build directory anywhere you like.
But, you do need to chdir to the build directory before running
"cmake /path/to/source", just as you do when running
"/path/to/configure" with autoconf.  You can of course run "cmake
.", and have the source and build directories be the same, but then
there's no separation and you end up writing the cache file to the
source tree (which can cause problems for any future out-of-source
builds since it will be reused).

I am pretty sure I have compiled stuff with cmake, with separate build
and source directories, and without the need to manually chdir
anywhere. I remember it was possible to set a cmake variable for this
purpose (was it anything like EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH?!?!?), but I
might be wrong on this. Maybe I am too accustomed with autotools :)

It's possible there's some variable which has the same effect, but I'm not aware of it myself (and I can't find it in the docs).

Stuff like EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH is to set where executables are placed inside the build tree e.g. /bin instead of the default (the directory defining the target).

The default behaviour of both these is identical to autoconf+automake!

Regards,
Roger